stuff and things

30 May 2015

Friend ...

The people behind Lawn Fawn Stamps seem to have cuteness all bottled up and served in a cut-crystal coupe. These images -- especially the critters -- just make me smile.

I love how the wine-bottle foil seems like real giraffe hide.

I made this simple friendship card with two goals in mind: a Simon Says Stamp challenge to use stencils, and Lawn Fawn's New Technique challenge. Wouldn't you know I missed both deadlines: Lawn Fawn's by only five minutes! This is only my third or fourth week of trying to meet challenges, so it's a learning curve here, folks!

It's all good: I need to try out more techniques, and this card pushed me to forge several boundaries. I mono-printed from the reverse side of a stencil: It's patchy but it turned out to give the feeling of a dry place in the African savanna. In my vision, at least.

 I used a hillside border die (... for the first time -- yes, I am the late adopter of the world ... lol)  but  I used the "waste" side. The  "real" side has little stitches, which I felt wouldn't go well with the wild look of the tree and background. I stamped grasses and other scrub-looking foliage behind the hill, creating the feeling of a savanna look, I think. I fashioned the giraffe by die-cutting a wine bottle's foil topper. I used ink spray to watercolor the little birdie friend. Finally, I finger-painted the green hill with fine glitter, and I used a white pen to shadow my sentiment, "friend." These are all new paper-crafting techniques for me. Whew! I'm all worn out here, friends. ;)

Card Ingredients:
Cardstock: background:  Bazzill, Avalanche -- sprayed with Dylusions Funky Fuchia Ink Spray, and Heidi Swapp Color Shine, Georgia Peach.
Hillside: Core'dinations cardstock by Ranger: Crushed Olive Distress Collection, finger-painted with glue and Recollections Pumpkin glitter.
Tree stencil: The Crafter's Workshop: "Mini-Branches," used as a mask to spray the two spray inks, above; then I inked the reverse side of the stencil and blotted the tree with tamped-on inks in Ranger Crushed Olive Distress Ink and Archival Brilliance Pearlescent Olive.
Flora stamps, a wonderful and versatile set from Inkadinkado: "Meadow," inked with Ranger Crushed Olive Distress Ink and Archival Brilliance Pearlescent Olive.
Critters stamps and die: Lawn Fawn, "Critters on the Savanna": The giraffe was die-cut from a wine bottle's foil and stamped with Lawn Fawn's coordinating giraffe stamp, then colored with Copic # E39. I forget the wine brand and vintage, but it's probably a Chardonnay!
Hill: Lawn Fawn's beloved "Stiched Hillside Borders" die cut set. I used the "waste" side, however: I felt that the side with little stitches wouldn't go so well with the looser background treatment. Instead, I was pleased with the effect of the non-stitched side. I've admired the look of this die set for years -- and finally I broke down and bought a set of my own. It's such a versatile tool.

As always, I'd love for you to comment, suggest, give links to helpful sources, or just say hi!
Tina in San Diego


I would like to enter my friendship card into the following challenges:
Crafty Creations Challenge #290: All Creatures Great and Small
The Color Throwdown #344
Simon Says: Anything Goes 
Crafty Gals Corner #21: Critters
Love to Scrap Challenge Blog #54: Anything Goes


8 comments:

Vickie Z said...

Fun techniques you used!! Love the stenciling!! This for joining us at CTD!

Wanda Cullen said...

Really beautiful background and such a great way to highlight the throwdown colors! So glad you were able to join us this week!

Heather said...

I've missed more challenge deadlines than I care to count! It is very annoying! With that aside, your card is very cool! Good for you trying out new techniques. It definitely feels like an African savannah to me! Thanks for playing with LTSCB.

Tammy Hershberger said...

That background looks really neat, and love the sweet giraffe! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown.

Elise C. said...

Such a cute card! I like the new techniques that you tried and all of the texture that you added! Thanks for playing along with Lawnscaping!! :)

chanya13 said...

Fabulous card with lovely colors and design. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Gals Corner Agnieszka DT

jenn shurkus said...

such a fun card! i love the colors and that background is fabulous! :) Thank you for playing a long with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

Samantha Casey said...

Awesome card! I love the background! Thanks for playing the Lawnscaping Challenge!
-Samantha