stuff and things

27 September 2012

One More Round and It's Done!

Having chosen my Storm at Sea quilt "Morning After the Storm" for my UFO Sunday project to finish, I have now finished quilting the "sea grass" strands onto the large blue diamonds, plus all the loopies connecting the diamonds. Whew! I'd forgotten that, despite even the best encouragement, machine free-motion quilting a larger quilt on a home sewing machine is WORK!
Morning After the Storm, 53.5" by 46.5" ... almost done!
None of you gentle readers were forthcoming with suggestions on how to quilt the pinkish-yellow angled patches surrounding the large blue/purple/greenish diamonds.
Now, a bigger question: Should I even bother quilting them at all?

Reasons against quilting them:
1.) I have stitched in the ditch both horizontally and vertically on this quilt, so the yellow patches are stiched on their outer boundaries.
2.) They're pretty small, as you can see by the sewing machine bobbin sitting next to the purple diamond, bottom center.
3.) I still don't know what design I'd use.
4.) This quilt's getting a bit "busy."
5.) It would mean dragging the entire quilt through my sewing machine again; lots more work.

Reasons for quilting them:
1.) I'd get to use the beautiful variegated King Tut thread, by Superior Threads, shown center right.
2.) I'm having fun quilting this again, finally!

Please weigh in with your ideas on whether I should quilt the yellow-y/pinkish areas. Leave a comment here (preferred, so all readers can enjoy your comment) ... or simply email me at tina@tinarathbone.com.

I'm also going to post my question on Leah Day's "Question Thursday" page, part of her Free Motion Quilt Along Project. And, if you should find yourself stuck with a question or problem on free-motion quilting, do leave Leah a question. She's quite experienced, and very generous in helping us "mere mortals" get a handle on this process!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Tina, I think it needs quilting in those areas because it is so heavily quilted. Just a simple sea plant type scribble!
Looks very good!
B

Leah Day said...

Lol! You make me sound like some kind of sea titan, swimming up to advice the mortals of the world. I'm seeing that image and contrasting it with reality and getting tickled at the contrast. I'm really just a girl making videos in her basement, you know?!

Naw, we're all quilters just trying to figure it out. I think if you're having fun, then you should keep quilting it and fill those spaces.

Personally I'm thinking of a more formal design like feathers or simple rows of echoed rings.

The reason? You're kind of squished up against several blocks with very flat quilting. More stitching will be nice, but maybe a bit of a change in texture (more open, more formal)

If you choose feathers, you might even make a small template to fit in those areas to generally mark the feather shapes so every single diamond is consistent.

Again, it's a contrast effect - you have a lot of chaos which is gorgeous, try balancing that with a bit of regimented formality.

Just my 2 cents! I'm off to swim back to my underground lair to lord over my quilts with a trident in one hand and a seam ripper in the other. LOL!

Leah