stuff and things

01 January 2012

An Homage to the Birds

More and more, as we continue to explore nature with avid birders' eyes, we seek out regional parks and nature reserves. Most of these tend to publish leaflets, maps, and bird lists. These have piled up on our coffee table:
An abundance of information, but a bit cluttery.
So, as it's obvious I haven't been spending my time decking the halls and trimming the tree, here's what I've been working on. I'm covering a sturdy shoebox with hand-dyed fabric, and cutting out bird photos and drawings to collage on it. I figure I can store all the maps and checklists and brochures inside, and it might even look a little better than piles of papers strewn all over our living room.
Once the blue fabric's down on the shoebox (left), I'll add some of these cut-out bird photos.
You've probably heard my inner debates about whether I'm a hoarder. Well, the other day on Freecycle, someone was giving away a set of old encyclopedias. Who could resist? Somehow (probably because the books lived in Nestor, down near the very birdy Tijuana River Valley Regional Park), Andy agreed to drive down with me and pick up the 24-volume Collier's Encyclopedia set.

The "B" volume, containing the Birds article with pages and pages of vintage illustrations by Douglas Howland, is shown above, right. I thought the 50's era books would be perfect for cutting up and using in collages, altered books, decoupage or even art quilts. But who can bear to cut up such a cool old book?

Sigh. I see the future, and it's a New Year's resolution: to use up my art supplies without guilt and/or hoarding!

I wish you all the best in 2012.

4 comments:

Bookhandler said...

Hi Tina,
Glad to hear someone else hoards art supplies. I'm waiting for a "really good" idea to use some of mine--like I hoard "good" clothes too. Need to learn that now is the time.
Nancy Lemke

Tina Rathbone said...

Nancy,
I've seen you use up everything from vintage cottons to fine, antique, white-worked cotton linens, to crazy-quilt embroidered pieces. You do a great job of using up the "good stuff," in my opinion.
Happy New Year!
Tina

Tracey Fletcher KIng said...

It's not hoarding if it has a creative end somewhere down the track... or at least that is what I tell myself... looking forward to spending the CED year following your progress...xx

Carolyn Dube said...

Not hoarding- inspiration gathering! That's how I am looking at my gathering habits this year! I'd have driven for that set too!