stuff and things

11 May 2011

Sketching, with Resist

The May Sketchbook Challenge theme is "Can't Resist This." I've already done a pile of garlic heads, something I can't resist adding Way More than a given recipe calls for. Rick Moore, my boss when I worked as a grad student in the Communications Office at San Diego State University, once called my pesto "Liquid Garlic."

Yesterday's sketch used a more literal interpretation of the theme: a physical resist applied to the sketchpad, and then painted over.
I used an empty sheet of Visions Art Museum stickers to create a resist. Fast and fun!
I volunteer at Visions Art Museum from time to time, working the desk and enjoying the visitors. We charge a $5 dollar admission fee to non-members, and when members show up or  visitors pay the fee, we give them a round Visions sticker to wear. During my last desk duty, I noticed what a great resist the empty sticker sheet would make, and asked Sheila, the board member on duty, for permission to take it home. Major score! I'm going to try painting on fabric through it next.

I'm grateful for encouragement from websites like The Sketchbook Challenge; I'd forgotten how much fun it is to lose yourself in the moment of seeing. Whatever your particular art form, enjoy yourself during the creative process. And please, tell me all about your creations in your comments.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love discovering things to paint fabric with! This would be a great fabric design!I love the colors you've used.