13 May 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival: "Wrapped in The Kiss" wedding quilt

My entry for this spring's Blogger's Quilt Festival is a Blooming Nine-patch quilt called "Wrapped in The Kiss."

My former yoga teacher Sean traded Andy and me surfing lessons for a king-sized quilt he could give to his sister on her wedding day. I based it on colors from Gustav Klimt's famous painting, "The Kiss."
"Wrapped in The Kiss," by Tina Rathbone, June 2004
Somehow, this very large quilt looks more vibrant in this view on my living room floor:
Floor view gives a more realistic sense of the color play.
I used a combination of gold and white African fabric, an Asian crane print, and some shiny spandex/lycra fancy stuff for the center:
Center of this Blooming Nine-Patch quilt, "Wrapped in The Kiss"
Here's the label, which I printed with an Art-Nouveau typeface:
Label to commerate the wedding quilt
And last, but not least, two detail shots give a better view of the rather eclectic fabric combinations:
Detail, from center pinks out to greys

Detail 2, from florals, greys, golds and greens to binding, R
Thank you, Amy, for hosting yet another fabulous "Blogger's Quilt Festival," and thanks to all the participants for providing another round of endless entertainment, friendship and inspiration.

29 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, very pretty quilt. Even the label is impressive. I've been wanting to make a blooming nine-patch for a long time but need to find the right combination of fabrics. I like your technique of using a painting as inspiration - might borrow that.

Julia said...

I love the Blooming Nine Patch Pattern and you did a fantastic job of choosing fabric for your quilt. I love it.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

Lonci said...

This is one amazing quilt.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Oh my gosh...this is STUNNING! Wow!

Venus de Hilo said...

Wonderful quilt! I'm so glad I clicked through from the BQF page... you had me at "artilicious," and yes, I know exactly what you mean about the "should" and "want" dilemma.

Jane said...

Your quilt is a work of art! Beautiful!

Carla said...

The Kiss is one of my favorite pieces and I love you interpretation! I like seeing it closer and seeing all the different fabrics you used. Amazing! Thanks for sharing

Linda @ a maiden hair fern said...

Stunning ! Beautifully done. The colors blend so well, even the abrupt blending looks cool. Thanks for sharing your talent.

stitchinpenny said...

Love the quilt, it is impressive for me since I tend to use large squares or strips. I also love the label, that took thought and skill and were a valued addition to the quilt.

Quilt+Bitch said...

Such a beautiful blooming 9-patch quilt. I love everything about this. You chose the colors really well.

Eileen said...

What a marvelous quilt. So beautiful and vibrant. Love your quilt. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Laurel H. said...

This is lovely; this looks complicated.

Karen said...

Beautiful quilt. Stunning use of colours.

Inchwormart said...

Very beautiful...amazing amount of hours it must have took...I love the piece of art is was based upon also.

Janet said...

Very beautiful. And what a lot of work. I hope that you are an ace surfer after this effort!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

This is breathtaking. I love the label you put on and how the colors were inspired by the painting

Vicki Holdwick said...

Wow!!! Fabulous and unique. What a great wedding gift.

xoxo

Kristen (Creative Stash) said...

Stunning!

Claudia said...

Amazing work and I love your inspiration for this quilt.

Fabric Warrior said...

I've always loved that painting! And I love your quilt. You did an outstanding job! : )

Editfolt said...

This beautiful quilt. Once I try this pattern.

Carol A. Babineau said...

I don't know how I missed this when you published the other day! This is spectacular and your color blending is perfect!
Thank you for posting and sharing :)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

You are so creative. It's very pretty.

quilthexle said...

Thanks for the detail shots - I love the fabrics you picked, and the overall-impression is just most impressive!

Hollie said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Letterpress said...

We went on our honeymoon to Austria and so saw many of Klimt's pieces of art. Stunning quilt and such a great interpretation of that artwork. I'll be back to see you again--I think it said on the Blogger's Quilt Festival that you live in San Diego--really close to me here in Riverside!

Elizabeth E. #508
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

lemonadegal said...

This is so wonderful. The details are fantastic. Thanks for sharing!!

a maiden hair fern said...

I love your quilt! I featured it on my blog today.