stuff and things

11 February 2011

Raving on a Friday Night ... (and not in a good way)

"Bromeliad Beauty," 23.75" by 22.50", c. 2000
When free-motion quilting on organic, natural subjects, or even trucks, I seem to do alright. Ellen Anne Eddy taught me to be fearless with machine free-motion, and Hollis Chatelaine, in whose class I started the above quilt, taught me her exacting quilting methods, which she, in turn, learned from Caryl Breyer Fallert.

"Hawaiian," 15" by 15", c. 2003.
I enjoyed learning how to paint with thickened dyes from Hollis, and so on a play date with Sue, I drew and painted, then subsequently quilted, "Hawaiian," above, a beat truck from a vacation photo I shot in Hana, Maui. I think the free-motion machine quilting came out great.

I even like the quilting on "Morning," below, even though it's a UFO that will need a lot more hand-stitching ... and more something, anything (suggestions, Please!) ... before the dancer and the heart are suitably defined. Yet the quilting, energetic, emotional and playful, works for me.
"Morning," 21.25" by 17.50," c. 2006
"Morning After the Storm," still in progress.
If I'm okay at free-motioning subjects in representational quilts, then why can't I quilt a simple curved line around a square within a square? I seem to go all limp when trying to quilt geometric blocks, as, for example, the diamonds and squares within squares (click twice on the image to see closeups on the blocks in question ... fellow quilters will know that as the "sashing,") ... on my "Morning After the Storm" quilt, a venerable pattern known generically as "Storm at Sea," above.

As with my previous quilt discussed in Artelicious, "Night Star,"  the straight lines and perfection really get to me. Even Leah Day, kindly, as she is a Quilting Goddess, wrote me back with some suggestions, but -- have you seen her quilting? She's a force of nature! I ended up begging asking Kerry to finish Night Star's quilting, especially the black squares and quarter triangles of its background ...  barely but beautifully making it to its debut deadline at the Critique Group Member Show at Visions Art Museum.

What is the message here that I'm missing? I guess I'm a fake, no-talent, quilter wannabee ... so the next time I talk to you about art or quilts or -- anything-- you can just laugh in my face. Many of the super-intense quilters I know own longarm machines, giant contraptions that take up an entire room and make it simple to quilt a large quilt. But I don't have room for that. In fact, I should give up my nice studio to Andy for his office ... Andy, who actually earns a living wage around here ... and move to a garrett, where I will live on nothing but Wonder Bread and San Diego tap water and Edith Piaf ballads. Argggghhhh!

3 comments:

carolbabineau.com said...

How's this for sounding like some kind of preacher?
I think you are intimidated by the geometry of the quilt. This type of quilt "shows" all your mistakes in freehand machine quilting.
The art quilts, on the other hand, actually allow creative permission to "go where you will" and follow the muse within.

nanke's stuff said...

I have no answer to your question, but I'm awed by your stunning quilts! nancy

Sherry Goodloe said...

Your quilts are breath-taking!