stuff and things

25 October 2010

Design Wall Monday

Judith Lasater in Tree Pose
Andy says I'm great at making large or intricate, two-year minimum quilts. When it comes to quickly producing one, however, it's never happened. So when Quilt Visions announced its "Leaves and Trees" member challenge, I pictured myself whipping out the requisite 12-inch quilt within the deadline and dazzling Andy. Well, it didn't happen. The Catalina trip came up, but that was only a week long, so that's no excuse. The real reason for not finishing it was that I think my concept was too corny.

I was a writer long before I was a quilter, so often the title precedes the quilt. For my "Leaves and Trees," my thought was to applique a person doing the yoga "tree pose" onto a Palm Leaves background. Get it? Leaves and trees. Yeah, it's corny. Should I even continue with it? I am an Ashtanga yoga instructor, by the way. Here's my yoga-related website.
A start on stitched yogi, with redwood bark for inspiration
The stitching at left is just the foundation for a very densely worked free-motion embroidered figure, to be cut-out on the outline and sewn onto the background. The bobbin's there to give you a sense of scale.
I wanted texture, by adding dyed cheese cloth and maybe some yarns, to give the figure a tree-bark feeling. The piece of redwood was from some firewood we bought and took to our campsite, by the way.

In the image below, you can see the Palm Leaves background. It reminds me of the brilliant fall treetops and bright blue sky we saw at Big Sur.

A block comprised of four Palm Leaf blocks
To give you an idea of how the finished figure will look (if I go on with this), here is a nudibranch I free-motion embroidered, inspired by a class I took with Ellen Anne Eddy, a wonderful and fearless quiltmaker. To see a fabulous photo gallery of actual nudibranchs, click here.
My earliest free-motion machine embroidery, awaiting an environment of its very own.
As always, thanks for reading, and please subscribe to my blog! Comments are most enjoyed and welcome.

8 comments:

Sue V said...

I like your yoga tree idea, clever!

Charlene S said...

A play on words based on your experiences is never corny. Yes, you should finish the piece and soon so Andy will have less to be smug about. Believe that you can achieve and you will!

Chris said...

You are so creative. Great work.

kwiltnkats said...

I don't think your idea is corny, but is time on your side?

tina said...

Everyone, what wonderful comments. Kwiltnkats, time has never been on my side; he/she's always been on the other side. :)

Stephanie said...

oh wow! loving the free motion embroidery. you color choices are always inspiring!

Nina-Marie said...

I love seeing the inspirational picture with your free motion - the middle reminds me of splintered glass!

tina said...

Nina-Marie, thanks for taking the time and trouble to comment. It means so much to a blogger, as you know. But I wasn't sure which picture reminded you of splintered glass, and, as splintered glass is one of my favorite substances, I just had to ask! I'm thinking it might be the nudibranch? Please let me know if you have a minute.