30 October 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Joie de Vivre

Joie de Vivre, Tina Rathbone, c.2000
For my entry into this fall's Blogger's Quilt Festival, I submit Joie de Vivre, another quilt of many "firsts." Completed in 2000, it marks the first time I participated in a quilt block swap, my first log cabin, my first king-sized quilt, my first professionally quilted quilt, and my first quilt to be displayed in a small quilt show.

The Brownie Troop, my Wednesday quilt group, comes up with group projects from time to time. One of our members, I forget who, suggested this block: a log cabin with a starter square in grey and then alternating black and white strips in any width, with a colored strip stuck in somewhere. We each made 12 of the same block, and I was off! Of course I needed many, many more blocks to get up to king-sized, so I solicited blocks from other quiltmakers, from my guild and beyond. They riffed on the idea by adding more than one colored strip per block, and soon each block became a story in itself. So many of my friends contributed blocks, with such an astounding variety of black and white prints: I could gaze at it for hours, and often do.

We ended up showing our Black and White quilts in a little show at our guild. Here are some others, and Brownies, please email me and tell me which one is yours so I can add captions and give you credit for your marvelous creations.

Aren't I lucky that the Brownies let me hang out with them? :)







The Brownie Troop Does Black and White, 2000

16 comments:

Sue V said...

Hi Tina,

Love your quilt. I think it was Ali Apple who came up with the idea.

I love mine too! Here's an image of mine: Sue's B&W log cabin

Hugs!

Linda said...

Great post! Fun to see the different variations!

A Girl said...

Beautiful Quilt!

Lisa said...

Very cool and very creative!

SoniB said...

Just spotted you on the Blogger's Quilt Festival. This is an amazing quilt. And it's great that one type of block can make such a variety of quilts. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Tina,
Yours is fabulous, and your group sounds like such fun. Thanks for sharing.
Nancy L.

SewAmy said...

I love your quilt. It is beautiful.

carol fun said...

I LOVE your quilt - such energy! I think a good scrap quilt is a work of art and this certainly qualifies! Thanks for sharing the pics of all these wonderful quilts.

Lonci said...

Wonderful colors,very creative:)

Marit said...

What a great quilt! So fun to have so many contributions to your quilt. Sounds like a fun group to belong to!
Thank you for sharing all the other variations, too. That is a very diverse collection!
; )

Miri said...

Terrific quilt! Love the setting.

thanks for the quilt show!

kwiltnkats said...

Tina, cool that you joined the online quilt show. I considered it last week but was a day early to post to Mr. Linky and then forgot all about it until today when I was reading blog posts from Design Wall Monday. Love what you were able to post. I made one too. SueV directed the work guild years ago one Saturday in making the block. Gosh was it that long ago "2000".

Deborah said...

Gorgeous!

Anna said...

wow!

Carol said...

What a great group project. Love the variation created by add in the color.

Andie said...

Oh my goodness - this is some amazing eye-candy! Incredible!