stuff and things

19 May 2010

Pillow Talk

A few months ago, I decided to contribute as an act of service (seva) to pass on the art of sewing to younger women of my acquaintance. After teaching yoga, or at other gatherings, I offered free lessons. As my new students arrived with armloads of clothing, with alterations in mind, I proceeded to walk them through some ... alterations. Hmm; that wasn't quite what I had in mind, but ... to be more yogic about it, I should not have been harboring expectations or attachments about the experience in the first place.

For a future project to teach everyone to actually sew something from scratch, I hit upon the novel idea of a ... drumroll please ... pillow cover. Banal, perhaps, but simple, and hopefully something one could finish in one session and regard with some sense of satisfaction. So I decided to make a couple on my own; first, to practice up, and to give myself a place to practice free-motion machine quilting -- always needed.

I took a hand-painted, sun-printed bit of yardage from a Micky Lawler class, and worked some free-motion machine embellishment in gold metallic (Madeira FS). Then I filled in the background with my trusty rayon thread (Maderia No. 40).

You machine quilters will note that the filling stitches on one side are more successful (bottom photo) than on the other side (top photo). By the second side, after many bobbin thread experiments, I remembered that the top thread was polyester, not rayon (Superior's  Rainbows variegated line), so I switched the bobbin thread to a very thin poly called "The Bottom Line," by Superior. Perfecto!














--- Before Epiphany ...
-- After realizing what bobbin thread to use ...




1 comment:

giddy up said...

Nice job... love your fabric and how the project came out...